Elite Canada is going to be at Richmond Oval February 11-14, 2016. We are still in need for volunteers. You can sign up here. Operating the music or timer, even though a bit stressful, will give you a front row seat. It is simply point and click according to the rotation schedule, sorting is already done upfront with the use of digital music.
Some statistics for the upcoming event:
- 493 music files (over 1GB. All competition music files have been received and will be checked over the next few days. If you are planning to perform at the gala, please submit your music digitally ASAP.)
- 25 RG clubs
- 6 provinces (BC,AB,SK.MB,ON,PQ)
- 8 groups
- 122 individuals of which there are 41 seniors, 62 juniors and 19 novices
Here are a few important links:
Digital music has been used at major competitions for more than two years already. Submission started with ‘sneaker net’ via USB sticks to being submitted exclusively via the internet. Most clubs now know about file share services like dropbox, google docs and OneBox. However, every now and then, there are still people trying to submit music via emails. Here are the reasons why music-via-email is not recommended:
- Your message might cause your recipients’ mailbox to exceed the storage quota. It may cause your email to bounce back. Even worse, if the recipients’ mailboxes exceed the storage quota, he/she could be prevented from receiving any other emails – thereby your action can cause problems for many others.
- Depending on your server configuration, your message might cause your own mailbox to exceed the storage quota. If messages you send is saved in the Sent folder, large attachments to other people counts against your mailbox size quota as well. When you exceed the storage quota, you could be blocked from sending/receiving additional messages.
- When a file is attached to message, it has to be encoded. The encoding process causes attached files to become 1.37 times larger than they are on your computer. For example, if you send a 5 MB file attachment, the attachment is sent as 6.85 MB of data.
- Receipients of the music files usually have to delete the emails immediately due to size. With fileshare services, folders are left intact. If we encounter problems (even as late as podium practice), the host can easily copy the file(s) again from the shared folder. This is an advantage to everyone involved.
- Time-saver for both the sender and receiver – as oppose to simply doing a folder copy and then let the computer do all the work, you have to attach file(s) to each email and you have to make sure that it is not stuck in the ‘to be sent’ status. The receiver also need to detach the files one email at a time rather than deal with it one club at a time. It may not seem a lot of time but with close to 150 participants, each spending 30 seconds, this is easily more than an hour extra that can be spent on other tasks.
Advantages of file-share services:
- Delivery is much faster – the sending and receiving ends are both optimized for sending bigger files. Furthermore, encoding is not required. So you will find that the synching process (upload/download) takes only fraction of the time.
- File-share services can serve as an off-site backup or a repository for the club. Running a gymnastics club takes a lot of time and effort. To be able to share files across individuals with different roles avoids most versioning problems. Furthermore, the convenience to make files assessible via any device cannot be understated.
- If you plan it properly, common resources can be shared across the club easily – for example, parents handbook, club letterhead, contact lists, videos, picture, club logo (I cannot even remember the number of times that a club came to me looking for ‘lost’ club logo).
- If you ever sell your business or have a new partner, having established a shared club resource already setup can reduce a lot of headaches.
Do learn fileshare services for more than just music submission! Here are links to some tutorials:
When live-score (http://www.score2u.com) was first made available, it was done for the Montreal World Cup around 2010. Since then, it has been used in GCG major events from Regionals up to nationals. It even reached as far as Estonia for Miss Valentine in the last couple of years.
Live score module is an optional extension of the standard scoring. So there is very little extra to learn except for learning the configuration and test of the internet hookup on location required to interface with the remote host. A stable internet connection is mandatory to have a stress free event.
Yes, there is an extra cost of $50 to use this optional extension beyond your standard scoring license. This per event cost is needed to cover for support, configuration, hosting, bandwidth and data storage. To ensure that we don’t hit any performance snags, I will only allow one to two events maximum per weekend. GCG events take priority and then whoever book first.
Aside from getting scores fed live to parents and fans, there are the following benefits:
- you can position a display monitor/TV whereever there is internet connection and not limited by cable length from the scoring computer. In some events in the US, I see that scores are re-entered into a powerpoint for display purpose and that means more risk of errors and more volunteers required.
- you raise the profile of your event and you can also link to your event / club page from the scoring panel
- coaches / parents / officials can access the scores anytime anywhere and not miss anything
- more information is available realtime, for example, to-the-minute ranking
Some lessor known features of live-score:
- It has a message component that allows you to say something like “Group routines will start 11AM PST” so that you can communicate to audiences local or remote.
- If you are familiar with html, this message can point to a logo for the event with a welcome message before the event starts
- If you have an event site (for example, at the 2014 Pacific Rim Championship, we used a horizontal iframe to ’embed’ the real time results of the event. With this feature, you can include standard headers and sponsors to results.
If you are interested, do contact me via this contact form or message me facebook. Thanks.